Friday, April 27, 2007

books

Before we moved from Rotterdam to Lelystad we sold a substancial part of our book collection. We don't have the space for them here.
All books are in a database in my computer, but I still did not remove the books that were sold. Frank and I started in september, I printed out writer and title and marked the books in the shelves. This month we finally did the last shelves and I updated the database: in Rotterdam we had 3450 books, now there are 1818 left.

My collection of (mostly awarded) childrens books went from 1266 to 613, all picture books and informative books (and some others) were sold. But I am happy, no regrets about the sold books and glad with all that is left.

Yesterday I red the comments on movie premières, one was "Bridge to Terabithia". I have this book (it was awarded a Silver Pencil Award in 1983 here in the Netherlands and got a Newberry Medal award in 1978) and the comment made me read the book, first book I red in months and I finished it the same afternoon.
Jess Aarons had to be the fastest runner at Lark Creek Elementary School, the best, but when he was challenged by Leslie Burke, a girl, that was just the beginning of a new season in Jess's life. Leslie and her parents were new comers to the rural community where Jess lived, and were thought to be a bit odd, for they didn't even own a TV, though their house was filled with books. Some-what to Jess's surprise, he and Leslie became friends, and the worlds of imagination and learning that she opened to him changed him for ever. It was Leslie's idea to create Terabithia, their secret Kingdom in the woods where they reigned supreme. There no enemy - not their teacher Monster Mouth Meyers, their schoolmates Gary Fulcher and Janice Avery, Jess's Four sisters, or even Jess's own fears and Leslie's imaginary foes - could defeat them. The Legacy that Leslie finally brought to Jess enabled him to cope with the unexpected tragedy that touched them all. (from www.terabithia.com, Katharina Patersons website)

No comments: